Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Halle Berry talks to Ebony Magazine about her daughter

'I feel like she's black': Halle Berry on the daughter caught in middle of bitter war of words with Gabriel Aubry. Halle Berry has said she considers her daughter Nahla, who is at the center of a bitter custody battle, to be 'black'.Her comment emerged a week after the fight between Berry and her ex boyfriend Gabriel Aubry over the two-year-old turned ugly.It was alleged by multiple sources that the French-Canadian model once used a racial slur against the actress, calling her a 'n*****.'                                        
Berry, 44, says: 'I feel like she's black. I'm black and I'm her mother and I believe in the one-drop theory.' The 'one-drop theory' refers to the controversial racial classification of African-Americans that determined who was black in the US.

Although it was only made law in the early 20th century for decades before that it was used in some states to determine who was black, regardless of how many white ancestors they had or even if they looked Caucasian.

It varied from state to state but sometimes even if someone had one great-great grandparent that was black and the rest of their ancestors were white, they were still considered black.

When asked to define her daughter's race, Berry - who has both white and African-American heritage - tells Ebony:

''What I think is that that's something she's going to have to decide.'I'm not going to put a label on it. I had to decide for myself and that's what she's going to have to decide - how she identifies herself in the world.'And I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her. That's how I identified myself.'But I feel like she's black.'

Berry says that she struggled to determine her own racial identity. Her parents had a turbulent relationship and, while being raised by her white mother, the actress sees herself as being black.
 source credit

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

OSD Hits